Vienna
Graeme Wall
2019-09-25 11:03:02 UTC
Might be going to Vienna at some stage, what is the best way to get from
the airport to the centre of town?
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Jeremy Double
2019-09-25 12:17:08 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Might be going to Vienna at some stage, what is the best way to get from
the airport to the centre of town?
It’s been quite a while since I travelled to Vienna by air, but IIRC there
is an S-Bahn that does the trick. OTOH, a few years ago they did major
work on the rail network in Vienna to make a new Hauptbahnhof, so there
might be better options now.

This has some information:
https://www.wien.info/en/travel-info/to-and-around/airport-to-center
Jeremy Double
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
John Levine
2019-09-25 14:02:33 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Might be going to Vienna at some stage, what is the best way to get from
the airport to the centre of town?
There's an expensive City Airport Train and a cheaper slower S-bahn.
They go to different places so it depends. The airport station is on
the lower level of the airport terminal.

Returning from the city, you can check in and check your luggage at
the city CAT terminal if you want.
--
Regards,
John Levine, ***@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
U***@web.de
2019-09-25 15:32:00 UTC
Post by John Levine
Post by Graeme Wall
Might be going to Vienna at some stage, what is the best way to get from
the airport to the centre of town?
There's an expensive City Airport Train and a cheaper slower S-bahn.
They go to different places so it depends. The airport station is on
the lower level of the airport terminal.
I guess even ICE, RJ and RJx, if available,
may be used at regional VOR fare which includes
public transport (buss, undergraund, trams)
downtown until destination.

Regards, ULF
John Levine
2019-09-25 15:47:28 UTC
Post by U***@web.de
Post by John Levine
Post by Graeme Wall
Might be going to Vienna at some stage, what is the best way to get from
the airport to the centre of town?
There's an expensive City Airport Train and a cheaper slower S-bahn.
They go to different places so it depends. The airport station is on
the lower level of the airport terminal.
I guess even ICE, RJ and RJx, if available,
may be used at regional VOR fare which includes
public transport (buss, undergraund, trams)
downtown until destination.
I found this chart that list all of the trains and OBB buses. No ICE
to the airport I can recall but plent of RJ at the same fare as the
local VOR:

https://www.oebb.at/dam/jcr:e4ad2e3c-33cb-4a33-8d6a-aaf03113e7a5/folder-naechster-halt-ganze-welt-englisch.pdf
Graeme Wall
2019-09-26 09:34:02 UTC
Post by John Levine
Post by U***@web.de
Post by John Levine
Post by Graeme Wall
Might be going to Vienna at some stage, what is the best way to get from
the airport to the centre of town?
There's an expensive City Airport Train and a cheaper slower S-bahn.
They go to different places so it depends. The airport station is on
the lower level of the airport terminal.
I guess even ICE, RJ and RJx, if available,
may be used at regional VOR fare which includes
public transport (buss, undergraund, trams)
downtown until destination.
I found this chart that list all of the trains and OBB buses. No ICE
to the airport I can recall but plent of RJ at the same fare as the
https://www.oebb.at/dam/jcr:e4ad2e3c-33cb-4a33-8d6a-aaf03113e7a5/folder-naechster-halt-ganze-welt-englisch.pdf
That is handy.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
U***@web.de
2019-09-26 09:53:36 UTC
Post by John Levine
Post by U***@web.de
Post by John Levine
Post by Graeme Wall
Might be going to Vienna at some stage, what is the best way to get from
the airport to the centre of town?
There's an expensive City Airport Train and a cheaper slower S-bahn.
They go to different places so it depends. The airport station is on
the lower level of the airport terminal.
I guess even ICE, RJ and RJx, if available,
may be used at regional VOR fare which includes
public transport (buss, undergraund, trams)
downtown until destination.
I found this chart that list all of the trains and OBB buses. No ICE
to the airport I can recall
This was in the past. VOR tariff.
https://www.flughafenfreunde.at/news/mit-dem-ice-zum-flughafen/
Regards, ULF
Rink
2019-09-26 19:48:53 UTC
Post by U***@web.de
Post by John Levine
Post by John Levine
Post by Graeme Wall
Might be going to Vienna at some stage, what is the best way
to get from the airport to the centre of town?
There's an expensive City Airport Train and a cheaper slower
S-bahn. They go to different places so it depends. The airport
station is on the lower level of the airport terminal.
I guess even ICE, RJ and RJx, if available, may be used at
regional VOR fare which includes public transport (buss,
undergraund, trams) downtown until destination.
I found this chart that list all of the trains and OBB buses. No
ICE to the airport I can recall
This was in the past. VOR tariff.
https://www.flughafenfreunde.at/news/mit-dem-ice-zum-flughafen/
I'm sorry, Ulf, but that is history.
In the ÖBB Routeplanner I see that the ICE's to / from Passau
departs from / end at Wien Hauptbahnhof.
You have to change there.

You can make your own "Timetable booklet" and see that there are no
direct trains from Passau to Wien Flughafen.
<https://fahrplanheft.oebb.at/bin/query/query-p2w.exe/en?protocol=https:&whichTask=pf&p2wType=tb&showAdvancedOptions=1&>

If this link is broken, go to:
https://www.oebb.at/en/
click on "Search Connection"
And then on "Timetable Booklet".

No ICE to the Airport of Wien.

Rink
Post by U***@web.de
Post by John Levine
https://www.oebb.at/dam/jcr:e4ad2e3c-33cb-4a33-8d6a-aaf03113e7a5/folder-naechster-halt-ganze-welt-englisch.pdf
Regards, ULF
Thanks for this folder, John!

Rink

Graeme Wall
2019-09-26 09:33:10 UTC
Post by U***@web.de
Post by John Levine
Post by Graeme Wall
Might be going to Vienna at some stage, what is the best way to get from
the airport to the centre of town?
There's an expensive City Airport Train and a cheaper slower S-bahn.
They go to different places so it depends. The airport station is on
the lower level of the airport terminal.
I guess even ICE, RJ and RJx, if available,
may be used at regional VOR fare which includes
public transport (buss, undergraund, trams)
downtown until destination.
That sounds useful.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Graeme Wall
2019-09-26 09:31:20 UTC
Post by John Levine
Post by Graeme Wall
Might be going to Vienna at some stage, what is the best way to get from
the airport to the centre of town?
There's an expensive City Airport Train and a cheaper slower S-bahn.
They go to different places so it depends. The airport station is on
the lower level of the airport terminal.
Returning from the city, you can check in and check your luggage at
the city CAT terminal if you want.
Thanks for that
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Sam Wilson
2019-09-25 14:35:21 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Might be going to Vienna at some stage, what is the best way to get
from the airport to the centre of town?
This means nothing to me.

Sam
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
Recliner
2019-09-25 15:13:37 UTC
You may not know the answer, but surely the question is clear enough?
Sam Wilson

Graeme Wall
2019-09-26 09:32:22 UTC
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Recliner
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Graeme Wall
Might be going to Vienna at some stage, what is the best way to get
from the airport to the centre of town?
This means nothing to me.
You may not know the answer, but surely the question is clear enough?
http://youtu.be/xJeWySiuq1I
:-)
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Rink
2019-09-25 19:43:25 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Might be going to Vienna at some stage, what is the best way to get from
the airport to the centre of town?
Try SCOTTY, the ÖBB route planner.
<https://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en>

choose Airport Vie
(or Flughafen Wien Bahnhof)
and choose your destination.

If you choose "all products", it gives you different sorts of trains,
but also busses.

Good luck!
Rink
Graeme Wall