Aachen
Arthur Figgis
2014-11-06 19:56:20 UTC
Does anyone know the best London -> Aachen ticketing strategy these
days, possibly with an overnight stop in Brussels but ideally without
having to hang around at Midi waiting for a Frankfurt-bound ICE3 the
next morning?

I'm guessing it could be a Eurostar to Any Belgian Station ticket plus a
walk-on ticket from the last Belgian station (or the border?), or can a
DB London Spezial be used to do clever things?
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Oliver Schnell
2014-11-07 16:43:37 UTC
Post by Arthur Figgis
Does anyone know the best London -> Aachen ticketing strategy these
days, possibly with an overnight stop in Brussels but ideally without
having to hang around at Midi waiting for a Frankfurt-bound ICE3 the
next morning?
How long do you want to stop at Brussels?

The first train in the morning from Brussels to Aachen *is* the ICE
(dep. Midi at 6:25).
Post by Arthur Figgis
I'm guessing it could be a Eurostar to Any Belgian Station ticket plus a
walk-on ticket from the last Belgian station (or the border?), or can a
DB London Spezial be used to do clever things?
An London Spezial is available (allow 6:00 stopover-time at Brussels
Midi in bahn.de) for such a connection:

London St. Pancras International ab 19:34 EST 9158
Bruxelles-Midi an 22:38
Bruxelles-Midi ab 06:25 ICE 11
Aachen Hbf an 07:37

Oliver Schnell
Arthur Figgis
2014-11-17 19:10:32 UTC
Post by Arthur Figgis
I'm guessing it could be a Eurostar to Any Belgian Station ticket plus a
walk-on ticket from the last Belgian station (or the border?), or can a
DB London Spezial be used to do clever things?
An London Spezial is available (allow 6:00 stopover-time at Brussels
London St. Pancras International ab 19:34 EST 9158
Bruxelles-Midi an 22:38
Bruxelles-Midi ab 06:25 ICE 11
Aachen Hbf an 07:37
I'd forgotten about the 06:25, as there are no 06:xx when I'm on holiday :-)

Anyway, it looks like the London Spezial is the best option, though that
does seem to require a specified ICE rather than a local train (at least
over the actual frontier?).
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Theo Markettos
2014-11-18 19:39:10 UTC
Post by Arthur Figgis
I'd forgotten about the 06:25, as there are no 06:xx when I'm on holiday :-)
Roll out of bed of the Radisson Bruxelles Midi, cross the road, jump on ICE.
Engaging the brain is an optional extra.
Post by Arthur Figgis
Anyway, it looks like the London Spezial is the best option, though that
does seem to require a specified ICE rather than a local train (at least
over the actual frontier?).
It does. You can probably jiggle about with local trains once you've
crossed the border, but the ICE is the only DB train it will ticket you with
in Belgium.

As a warning, the 06.25 is a bit lacking in buffet supplies since I think
they wait to stock up in Germany, so my attempt at a slap-up breakfast was a
cup of coffee and a (whole) packet of chocolate biscuits, owing to lack of
any other food.

Theo
Giovanni Drogo
2014-11-19 10:17:31 UTC
the ICE is the only DB train it will ticket you with in Belgium.
Not sure nowadays, but there was/is a tariff point "Aachen Grenze".

Is it still valid the rule that, if you have a valid ticket to the
border in one country, and travel on a train crossing the border, you
can pay the difference to the conductor with no surcharge ?

About 30 years ago, me and my mother had a ticket from Darmstadt to
Aachen Grenze. I stopped in Aachen Hbf, and visited Aachen for a few
hours. In addition I exploited the local DER office to buy a weekly rail
pass for the Netherlands, with the extension for buses.

I could have got the rail pass at the DER in Darmstadt, but not the
extension unless perhaps booking with quite an advance.
Martin Theodor Ludwig
2014-11-25 22:28:21 UTC
On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 17:43:37 +0100, Oliver Schnell
Post by Oliver Schnell
Post by Arthur Figgis
Does anyone know the best London -> Aachen ticketing strategy these
days, possibly with an overnight stop in Brussels but ideally without
having to hang around at Midi waiting for a Frankfurt-bound ICE3 the
next morning?
How long do you want to stop at Brussels?
And take care to speak very clearly when buying your ticket. It has
happened repeatedly (and again recently) that people who wanted to
go to Brussels ended up in Bru(ch)sal (or the other way round).

Regards,
Martin
Arthur Figgis
2014-11-26 19:18:08 UTC
Post by Martin Theodor Ludwig
And take care to speak very clearly when buying your ticket. It has
happened repeatedly (and again recently) that people who wanted to
go to Brussels ended up in Bru(ch)sal (or the other way round).
In the past I've had the opposite problem, a clerk refusing to believe
that a foreigner would be going anywhere other than the capital.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK