What was it?
Arthur Figgis
2012-12-11 18:17:18 UTC
On Saturday afternoon I noticed a mixed train somewhere in the Ulm
-Stuttgart area. A generic loco I didn't really pay attention to was
hauling two plain grey coaches plus a string of container wagons, each
carrying three (presumably 20ft?) boxes. The containers were in a range
of colours, but none carried any branding (ACME Shipping Lines, Eddie
von Stobart or whatever).

It almost looked like a train trying not to be noticed. Anyone know if
this would have been something interesting - supplies for the German
strategic reserve, fuel for a DB flying saucer fleet?
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Hans-Joachim Zierke
2012-12-11 19:26:41 UTC
Post by Arthur Figgis
On Saturday afternoon I noticed a mixed train somewhere in the Ulm
-Stuttgart area. A generic loco I didn't really pay attention to was
hauling two plain grey coaches
WLBvmsk 177.1 ?
Post by Arthur Figgis
plus a string of container wagons, each
carrying three (presumably 20ft?) boxes.
One of the standard types can take 3 TEU.
Post by Arthur Figgis
The containers were in a range
of colours, but none carried any branding (ACME Shipping Lines, Eddie
von Stobart or whatever).
It almost looked like a train trying not to be noticed. Anyone know if
this would have been something interesting - supplies for the German
strategic reserve, fuel for a DB flying saucer fleet?
KFOR trains look like

Hans-Joachim
Arthur Figgis
2012-12-11 20:16:12 UTC
Post by Hans-Joachim Zierke
Post by Arthur Figgis
On Saturday afternoon I noticed a mixed train somewhere in the Ulm
-Stuttgart area. A generic loco I didn't really pay attention to was
hauling two plain grey coaches
WLBvmsk 177.1 ?
http://www.abload.de/img/img_8818eaxi.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/img_8817px83.jpg
Similar livery, but they had more rounded roof ends, and I didn't notice
a whatever-that-is on the roof.

But Googling around that, I reckon they were some of these:
http://www.bahndienstwagen-online.de/bahn/BDW/BDWBA/HTML200/bcmkh240.html

http://www.bfgnet.de/news/archive/new_mec.html

Thanks!
Post by Arthur Figgis
The containers were in a range
of colours, but none carried any branding (ACME Shipping Lines, Eddie
von Stobart or whatever).
It almost looked like a train trying not to be noticed. Anyone know if
this would have been something interesting - supplies for the German
strategic reserve, fuel for a DB flying saucer fleet?
KFOR trains look like
http://kosrail.de/Fotos/deutschekfor05.jpg
http://kosrail.de/Fotos/haniielezitdb.JPG
Sadly not! The boxes were more colourful. So it was a military train of
some kind - less obvious than the Ludmilla + train load of armoured
vehicles I saw near Berlin a while back, but still clearly a little
unusual. Do I now win a free trip to Cuba...
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Hans-Joachim Zierke
2012-12-11 22:52:55 UTC
Post by Arthur Figgis
Sadly not! The boxes were more colourful. So it was a military train of
some kind
Having these cars in a freight train means nothing: They are frequently
repositioned by putting them into normal freight trains. In addition, they
also see non-military usage:

But I agree, that containers without company names are unusual, at least
if /all/ of them weren't marked.
Post by Arthur Figgis
Do I now win a free trip to Cuba...
In the perception of Germans, declaring people suspicious for their
interest in railroads is a behaviour firmly connected to the GDR. Try
something else.

Hans-Joachim
Klaus Föhl
2012-12-18 10:19:50 UTC
Post by Arthur Figgis
It almost looked like a train trying not to be noticed. Anyone know if
this would have been something interesting - supplies for the German
strategic reserve,
[..]

Shish!
Do not tell what future long tunnels in Stuttgart shall hide !

Klaus